mandag den 21. oktober 2013

Tracking my social media use: My tracking plan

In this blog entry, I will considerate how to best capture my social media use for 48 hours. I spend a lot of time on social media such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, but I have no idea how much. It will be very interesting to find out exactely how much time I use/waste on these media sites. I primarily use my iPhone to visit social media sites, and sometimes I do it without even thinking about it. I just automatic click on the app icons on my smartphone.
Later on I will be fasting from all unnecessary new media for 24 hours. This will be a great challenge for me, as I, like mentioned above, just press on the app icons on my iPhone, so I really have to think about not doing that. I will try to fast from everything.

My 48-hour tracking plan

From tuesday October 22nd 9 AM till thursday october 24th 9 AM I will track all my media use.

To do this I will note all my social media use. Since I primarily use my iPhone, and often use social media while I'm out and about, I will be noting all my social media use in my research journal which I bring with me at all times. I will make a system where I note the following:
- The social media I used (e.g. Facebook)
- The time the engaging in that particular social media started and the duration of it.
- The purpose of it ( e.g lurking, updating, checking up on my reading assignments for my classes)

During the 48 hours I will also be doing braindumps with my thoughts about that particular visit to the social medias. I will at least do five braindumps: One each morning of the period and one each evening of the period. I will definetely be doing it at these times, since I have a feeling these are the times I spend the most time engaging on social media. I will also be doing a braindump at a time where I am using social media at other places than my own home, e.g. in a bus. In this braindump focusing on why I feel the need to use social media in that particular situation.

I will also be taking screendumps of my social media use. These might come in handy later, when trying to remember a particular situation on Facebook, and they will probably help people understand why I have certain thoughts at a certain time.

During the 48 hours I will also videotape my social media use to create a Vlog(s). As i primarily use my iPhone, I will do this with a small digital camera. It is going to be a challenge videotaping everything, but I will do my best - although it might be difficukt juggling both iPhone and digital camera on e.g. a bus. But I hope that during the 48 hours I will develope skills at doing this. I will also be videotaping some of my thoughts - video braindumping you might call it.

My 24-hour media fast

My media fast will be from wednesday November 6th 9 AM till thursday November 7th 9 AM. I've chosen this day because it is a day where I have nothing planned, except for reading for my classes. I would like it to be a day where I would normally be spending a lot of time on social media to challenge myself the most.
I will be logging out of all my new media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, mail acoounts etc.) on both my iPhone and my computer - that way I won't accidentally log on during the 24 hours media fast.
I would like to just dissappear from social media to check how people react to that - if they react at all. However I will need to notify my job, because they often contact me by mail.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar