torsdag den 17. oktober 2013

Online at all times

For the past week, I have been enjoying the fall holiday with my family. 10 people from the age of 12 to 79 in a beach house on the west coast of Jutland. Challenging at times, but mainly a very good break from everyday life. However, it sometimes felt as though we might as well stay at home in our separate rooms.
All in all we brought 10 smartphones, 5 computers and 1 tablet on vacation. School, work and an addiction to social media and online gaming such as World of Warcraft and League of Legends filled us with the need to bring all those devices. We had to be able to be online and our classmates, colleagues, game-mates etc. had to be able to contact us. Most of us found it shocking, that we brought that amount of technology and that the need to stay online and reachable were that severe.
At times I found myself sitting in a room with 9 other people in complete silence. Apart from my grandmother (who were reading) and my mother (who were knitting) all of us sat with either smartphones or computers chatting with friends or posting updates about our family holiday and thereby maintaining our digital identity (showing how much fun we have with our family!).
I wonder if the amount of technology that we bring to our holiday will increase in the future, or if the 10 of us have reached our max - I highly doubt this is the case though.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar